RE: Tracy Conley needs your help

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (hillmjan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 14:14:53 PDT

Perhaps you could break up the time a little bit. Sketchbooks can be made out of copy paper, and you can get free cardboard every time you finish a box of cereal. Have them do something in their sketchbook each day. Either vocab words, or coppy an artist's work, including the artist's name and title of the picture. For the caricatures, check out some of the Japanese Manga that's so popular now - if you grab 'em with some fun stuff, they'll be a little more willing to work.Have you tried guided drawing? Overhead projecter Classroom kinda dark, kids copy what you draw, step by step. Not real creative, but the results are usually pretty impressive. ..After having the kids draw with pencils for a while, I bring out pens - make a big deal about it, and the kids think it's cool. Papermates black - those packs of 12 for a buck! Some simple geometric optical illusions might grab 'em (check out some of the quilt squares) - that could be done in mosaic. The Kaleidescope circles ( right brain overload - can't think of the name) that lots of this group does in some type of variation is also something cool. Spring for a few colored pencils (isn't there a site that sells seconds for cheap?) including some metallic and show them a little about shading, blending from one color to another.
Hope that gives you a few ideas.
Jan