creative borders

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 13:45:41 PDT

During a printmaking unit for all grade levels, I had the kindergartners
make the borders for the display. I gave each child a strip of 6"x18" paper
and we made a row of handprints on them. That in and of itself wasn't too
creative, but I think the way we printed was. I had the students paint
directly on their hands to make the print. They were encouraged to mix
colors, but I did not give them any color mixing instruction. Image their
delight and surprise as they created all kinds of "new" colors like
"chocolate milk, watermelon, and slime," (their names). They especially
liked being able to paint on themselves. The borders looked great!

Leah