Tracy Conley needs your help

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 12:22:10 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Tracy can read ArtsEdNet Talk messages but for some reason can not post
messages.
I promised Tracy I would post this for her... Here is her email to reply
tracy.conley@comcast.net
Thanks for all you folks do for Art Education!

From Tracy:

I am looking for suggestions or ideas. I am a new teacher and I took on a
job this summer for 6 weeks at a christian based juvenile home. I am
teaching art to two classes. We have an hour and a half with one class and
then they switch and I get another class. My first session is complete and I
start the new groups next tuesday. I have the projects already set. The
first week we did mosiacing with magazine pieces and all sorts of beans.
They sketched their drawings and then started. Most didn't finish it and
didn't have the motivation or patience to even do it.

The second week we watercolored still lifes. This was very challenging and
difficult for most of them. The first group I had was a little bit older and
more motivated then the group I am about to get. The ages range from 12-18
years old. The last week we did caricatures. This did not go well at all.
Most of them can't draw and they don't understand it. I want to get a real
caricature artist to come in to motivate them but I am not having much luck
finding anyone whowants to donate their time.

So, the first week is:
1. mosiacs
2. Still life-watercolor
3. Caricatures

The hour and a half is almost too long for them to work on one thing. Any
suggestions of games or trivia things we could do? Most of these students
are on medications so they are tired and not motivated and a lot of them
have major issues. Anything would help.

Oh yeah, one last thing...my budget was $50. I bought matt board for $15
that we have been using for everything, watercolors, brushes, some beans,
and 2 sharpies.

Thank you
Tracy Conley
Michigan