RE: Silk painting/ church banners

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (hillmjan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 09:59:27 PDT

In all seriousness, were I in your shoes, I'd take a little time to do some experiementing with 1or 2yd lengths - Polyester lining type fabric (much cheaper than silk), also interfacing, some lightweight muslin, and some silk. Some of the paints I'd try would be regular acrylic, fabric paints ( Pebeo or Jacquard). I'd also try some areas predampened, some dry. See www.dharmatradingco.com for a good company to work with. Some considerations are how the fabric hangs when dry (Does it pucker? Do you want that effect?) How it looks from across the sanctuary/chapel - are the colors bright enough? Do the colors and design work with the decor of the church? Do the colors work symbolically with your art and the purpose of the day\banners? '
That's some of the stuff I usually consider for my banners (up to 6' x 10')
Jan
(Did you check out Nancy Chinn? )