Re: Great Art Teacher Rules :) and every mark you make communicates

---------

From: Christine Besack (mrsbeeswax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 06:22:34 PDT

Good Morning All,

Now this thread is another fabulous example of why we all love this listserv !!!

What an incredibly POSITIVE exchange of simple and POWERFUL thoughts.

It's amazing how we can all inspire each other and how we are on the same wavelength !!!

Thanks for all that you all contribute to this list !!

I had to speak briefly at the 5th grade commencement this year, the one thing I narrowed down to was what I wanted the kids to remember.
 I always tell them they HAVE to TRY.
This might not be your favorite thing in the world to do but you have to try. and you might just be surprised at the results.

I also have to share my 5th grade story about the girls who were very ticked off at the principle for banning them from the 5th grade dance as a consequence for inappropriate behavior. That afternoon I had them for art, their job was to finish their realistic self portraits.
I got the most incredible ANGRY self portraits from these girls, I wish I could have videotaped their process. The body language, the marks were very cathartic for them ( whether they realized it or not) , I could see how much more relaxed they were when they left the classroom.

I think I will make a large copy of the statement "Every mark communicates your attitude about making it !! " for my artrooms. (who gets the credit for that jewel ??? )

I am really looking forward to the next school year and I know you all are a big part of the reason why ...

THANK YOU for your positivity,

Christine Besack :)

---