Re: Rule number one on "How to be a good teacher"

---------

From: Annie Zeybekoglu (azeybek_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 05:26:41 PDT

I'm new to ArtsEdNet, and a high school teacher (I teach
Drawing 1, Drawing 2, Textile Design and Book Design);
and have been really enjoying your suggestions for "How to be a good
teacher"; I found the following posted at an exhibit at Harvard GSD
some years back, and now have it posted in my studio at school
for the students (and me!) to follow:

HOW TO WORK BETTER...

1. Show Up
2. Persevere
3. Know Everything Takes Time
4. Be Forgiving
5. Donšt take Anything for Granted
6. Be Flexible; Learn from Each Other
7. Relax
8. Take Breaks
9. Focus
10. Finish

I find that if I follow it, it's easier for them to do the same...
Perhaps that's at the core of how I strive to be a good teacher:
always try to model the practices you want your students to
embrace; expect from your students no more, no less than
what you expect of yourself.

Here are a few other things I have posted:

Consider the Zen notion of the Beginner's Mind:
Anything can have meaning.

Every mark you make communicates your
attitude in making it.

Look at what you do with a generous eye.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience
comes from bad judgement.

"My gift is my song, and this one's for you" - Elton John

Annie Zeybekoglu
Lexington (MA) High School

---