RE: Rule number one on "How to be a good teacher"

---------

From: Maude Ruesch (mruesch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 14:51:44 PDT

Wonderful rule! Excellent point.

-----Original Message-----
From: Patricia Knott [mailto:pknott@enter.net]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 12:13 PM
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: Re: Rule number one on "How to be a good teacher"

My rule: Teacher, don't talk too much.

A couple of years ago I had 4 Photo I classes in a row. By the last
class I didn't know what I had or hadn't said, so I said as little as
possible. Those kids did the best.
Teachers sometimes talk too much, sometimes we give far too much in
words rather than allowing the process of discovery . Let the kids make
the discoveries. Give them the tools to make the discovery, then get out
of the path, and don't make your path theirs.

The art of teaching is to be able to break down skills into manageable
components. Part of that skill is the student finding what is
appropriate for him/herself. I see a lot of teaching where the path is
set with obstacles and the kid is penalized because he doesn't have a
weed whacker.

Patty ---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

---