Re: Rule number one on "How to be a good teacher"

---------

From: Michele Berlin (stardust606_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 11:37:35 PDT

My personal, unwritten rule has always been, students are human also.
They have emotions and feelings just like we do. Which is why , before I
erupt at a student, I take a moment to calm down and ask myself, now,
how would I feel if this was said to me? And I normally find a better
way to fix the situation.
Too many times teachers open up their mouths and say hurtful things to a
child in the heat of the moment. Too many times had I been on the
receiving end of those harsh comments. And it still stings to this day.
I am not saying I am perfect, because I have slipped , but it sure makes
me think before I open my mouth.
Michele

Patricia Knott wrote:

> My rule: Teacher, don't talk too much.
> The art of teaching is to be able to break down skills into manageable
> components. Part of that skill is the student finding what is
> appropriate for him/herself. I see a lot of teaching where the path is
> set with obstacles and the kid is penalized because he doesn't have a
> weed whacker.

---