Re: Rule number one on "How to be a good teacher"

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 10:13:27 PDT

My rule: Teacher, don't talk too much.

A couple of years ago I had 4 Photo I classes in a row. By the last class I
didn't know what I had or hadn't said, so I said as little as possible.
Those kids did the best.
Teachers sometimes talk too much, sometimes we give far too much in words
rather than allowing the process of discovery . Let the kids make the
discoveries. Give them the tools to make the discovery, then get out of the
path, and don't make your path theirs.

The art of teaching is to be able to break down skills into manageable
components. Part of that skill is the student finding what is appropriate
for him/herself. I see a lot of teaching where the path is set with
obstacles and the kid is penalized because he doesn't have a weed whacker.

Patty

---