Re: Rule number one on "How to be a good teacher"

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 08:48:59 PDT

I have two things posted in big red 3' high letters (on the wall near the
ceiling). Do your best, and think. I also have big, self-made, illustrated
posters above the chalkboard that outline the process I expect them to
adhere to, Look . . . Listen . . . Think . . . Create. When a student gets
frustrated, I will remind them that they are doing well and to keep trying
(I, of course, help them too). Other students will then supportively point
to my big DO YOUR BEST, and say, "Just do your best, you can do it." This
is getting long, but I'll also add that I explain my own artistic process to
them. I show them a painting I did, and I tell them how long it took to
paint and the particular struggles I encountered and how I overcame them. I
try to stress that art is an ongoing process, not immediate gratification.
I try to convince them that it's not the end product they should focus on,
until they get there. It is a journey.

Leah

---