Re: Rule number one on "How to be a good teacher"

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 17 2003 - 08:13:45 PDT

My number one rule has two parts.

1. Make the hard stuff easy (maybe by providing some preliminary
practice time, or by rephrasing it).

2. Make the easy stuff hard (maybe by asking awareness question, or
requiring a new twist).

There are many ways we do this, and every student is different. When
it is too easy, it is boring. When it is too hard, they are defeated.
I recently told a six-year-old, "I noticed that you seem to enjoy
solving problems." Just that simple comment helped her focus a bit
more.
Marvin

---