Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Neat Literature based lesson from Dawn - upper elementary

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 12:47:18 PDT

I got this GREAT lesson plan from Dawn Stienecker today.
Self Portrait Diptych inspired by literature - upper elementary.

Email to me from Dawn:

This unit was made in conjunction with a visit from
the author/illustrator, Brain Selznik. The most
obvious connection probably would have been to teach
mask-making or stamp design. But this was not for

I tied in history of the development of writing/art
from the cave paintings and Diptychs. Had to go ahead
and throw in some Frida Kahlo too.

As I learned more about his illustrative work, I
realized he had awesome potential for teaching art -
The cover of The Boy of a Thousand Faces is an
excellent example of Chiaroscuro.

He is also illustrating a series that uses
foreshortening on the cover of each book - a device
used to emphasise the key element of each book.
(Frindle is the pen)
If you have questions about this lesson plan - email Dawn

Here is a neat twist from Dawn on foil tooling AND Georgia O'Keeffe together
(for those who saved LeAnn's lesson plans). Dawn did these with sixth
graders fro Mother's Day. I will definitely make a note of that on the
lesson plan - this will be included as an extension to LeAnn's

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department