Re: Innovations in Art Education

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 10:30:27 PDT

Judy-
I appreciate you sharing your educatioanl philospophy
- I think it's so important for us to reflect on what
we're doing. Often it's a part of the process that
gets put on the back burner or altogether ignored
because there's so much else to do.

I think Victor's question is a question that we need
to routinely ask ourselves. I'm still in school -
it's really interesting to see how much art and
education has changed since I was in gradeschool.
When I was in school, art was pretty much synonomous
with free time. It's also interesting to meet
teachers who still teach the exact same way and the
exact same lessons they did when they finished
college.

The good thing about the Getty Listserv is that there
are awesome people out there who take the time to read
journals and keep current, plus share with us!

Victor:
A frame of reference may be necessary to really be
able to answer your question.

My colleague just graduated last year - she has never
heard of DBAE. Have you?

The last couple of years, Visual Culture has been a
topic that tends to surface from time to time...

My guess is that if you are on the listserv, you are
pretty savy...but I just met a teacher who doesn't
ever get on the internet, muchless use computer
graphic software or photoshop...

Are you interested in media and tehniques?
Philosophical appraoches? ways to present concepts?

Are you interested in a particular grade level?

Dawn in Houston