Re: Files for sharing -TEACHING TOOLS - graphic organizers

---------

From: Judy Potter (jd-potter_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 08:42:04 PDT

That was the idea I had too. Following is a sample that Ken Schwab sent
to the list that I found helpful.
Judy Potter

Elements of Art-
q Line- is a mark on a surface that describes a shape or outline. It can
create texture and can be thick and thin. Types of line can include
actual, implied, vertical, horizontal, diagonal and contour lines.
q Color- refers to specific hues and has 3 properties, Chroma, Intensity
and Value. The color wheel is a way of showing the chromatic scale in a
circle using all the colors made with the primary triad. Complimentary
pairs can produce dull and neutral color. Black and white can be added
to produce tints (add white), shades (add black) and tones (add gray).
q Texture- is about surface quality either tactal or visual. Texture can
be real or implied by different uses of media. It is the degree of
roughness or smoothness in objects.
q Shape- is a 2-dimensional line with no form or thickness. Shapes are
flat and can be grouped into two categories, geometric and organic.
q Form-is a 3-dimensional object having volume and thickness. It is the
illusion of a 3-D effect that can be implied with the use of light and
shading techniques. Form can be viewed from many angles.
q Value- is the degree of light and dark in a design. It is the contrast
between black and white and all the tones in between. Value can be used
with color as well as black and white. Contrast is the extreme changes
between values.
q Size- refers to variations in the proportions of objects, lines or
shapes. There is a variation of sizes in objects either real or imagined.

These elements are used to create the Principles of Design. Principles
are the results of using the Elements. When you are working in a
particular format (size and shape of the work surface) the principles
are used to create interest, harmony and unity to the elements that you
are using. You can use the Principles of design to check your
composition to see if it has good structure.

Principles of Compositional Design-
The principles of design are the recipe for a good work of art. The
principles combine the elements to create an aesthetic placement of
things that will produce a good design.

q Center of interest- is an area that first attracts attention in a
composition. This area is more important when compared to the other
objects or elements in a composition. This can be by contrast of
values, more colors, and placement in the format.
q Balance- is a feeling of visual equality in shape, form, value, color,
etc. Balance can be symmetrical or evenly balanced or asymmetrical and
un-evenly balanced. Objects, values, colors, textures, shapes, forms,
etc., can be used in creating a balance in a composition.
q Harmony- brings together a composition with similar units. If your
composition was using wavy lines and organic shapes you would stay with
those types of lines and not put in just one geometric shape.
q Contrast- offers some change in value creating a visual discord in a
composition. Contrast shows the difference between shapes and can be
used as a background to bring objects out and forward in a design. It
can also be used to create an area of emphasis.
q Directional Movement- is a visual flow through the composition. It can
be the suggestion of motion in a design as you move from object to
object by way of placement and position. Directional movement can be
created with a value pattern. It is with the placement of dark and light
areas that you can move your attention through the format.
q Rhythm- is a movement in which some elements recur regularly. Like a
dance it will have a flow of objects that will seem to be like the beat
of music.

The Principles of design are the results of working with the elements of
art. Use them in every piece of art you do and you will be happy with
the results.

Hillmer, Jan wrote:

>Dawn, do you have an example you could share?
>Perhaps you could include those descriptions at the bottom instead of in the grid.
>Jan

---