Help with file extensions - advice from Donna

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2003 - 07:48:26 PDT

For those having trouble with files and saving...Here is advice from Donna
(my list tech wizard):

>>Thought I'd mention more about file formats and links...just for your
information. Though I may be redundant. You may know all this. Maybe
parts can be passed on to the list if you think it is useful.

I noticed several people say they could open AppleWorks and Microsoft
Office files on Mac. That could be pretty common. Microsoft Office for
Mac can open any of the Office files regardless of platform since about
1998 vs. AppleWorks can open some versions of office files (probably
not most recent) and save files back out as office files such as a Word
or Excel file formats. Microsoft Works surprises me because in the past
I was able to open Windows versions of that too but I guess I need a
later version of Works (if there is one for Mac...have not checked.)
With most programs you can select save as and choose some other more
common formats than the native version of the software. For example it
isn't that hard to select "File>Save As" and save a version of a text
file as RTF (Rich Text) which can be opened in multiple programs across
platform. Other common formats are plain text, html, pdf (Adobe
Acrobat-though there are shareware programs that people can use to save
pdfs on Mac and PC/Windows). On graphics if people save in jpeg, gif
web formats OR second tiff, eps then there are generally programs that
can open any of these files cross platform with out problems.
Sometimes I can insert native files in a page layout program and see
them, but it doesn't always work. I think I would still encourage
people to submit text/word processed files or graphics files in these
common formats. It saves you time--lots of it. And it really shouldn't
take the original person any "extra" time to save another copy in a
more common file format. In that way the cross platform issue becomes
less of a problem. Mac users need to remember to be sure and add the
file extension that matches the format the file is being saved.
Fortunately some programs automatically add the extension. Just thought
I'd mention that.

.....and now back to me.... I have tried to save files as RTF....I have some
of the newest Microsoft software (Office 2000 and Windows XP
Professional).There is a LOT my software is supposed to do but doesn't. It
tells me to insert the CD and install the feature when I ask it to do
something (my son installed the software orignally on my machine....so I
can't tell him he did it "wrong"). I no longer have my CD's.....my wonder
boy lost them at school. He bought new ones himself - but now Microsoft has
them coded so you can only install them on one machine. He found a loophole
when he installed ours originally on his machine and got a code from
Microsoft (shhhh....don't tell). He told them he had upgraded his machine -
which was sort of true. His machine is a step or two above ours.....So... I
have to do things the "hard way" to convert your files to RFT. I have to ask
someone to do it for me....So.... I am also good at making excuses for not
getting the job done (smile....have a chuckle on me..... I should thank my
son for saving me "extra" work --- but then he would probably find a way for
me to use his software).

Have a great day! More lessons from Dawn Stienecker coming soon. I haven't
had a chance to get to them today. She is such a doll!

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/