Bloom's Taxonomy

---------

From: Ellen Silverman (mcguffsilver_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 13:08:29 PDT

I have been following this thread with interest, I would also like the
questions developed based on Bloom's Taxonomy.

    I have also read, "Art and Cognition, Integrating the Visual Arts in
the Curriculum," By Arthur D. Efland, ISBN 0-8077-4218-X. it is
available through NAEA. This book covered all the various educational
theories and how they have effect on art education. There was a
downside to Bloom's Taxonomy, pointed out by Elliot Eisner and others.
The taxonomy divides subjects into cognitive, affective, and psychomotor
groupings. Implying that the non cognitive groups are lower in status,
then they place making art into the affective area, suggesting that
learning to paint or interpret a work of art is in the affective domain
and not as important as other subjects. New educational cognitive
theories that builds on Bloom's but deals with getting away from this
implied lower status, were suggested, Gardner's multi intelligence's
work and others.

    This is a great book that really explains theory. Has anyone else
read it? I would like some thoughts on some of the newer stuff and
especially how to incorporate it into my teaching.

Ellen Silverman
k-8 Art
New Jersey

---