Re: oil paints

---------

From: Cynthia Houppert (cynthiahouppert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 07:42:13 PDT

Hi Becky,

With regards to oil paints, Cliiford Chieffo's book,
the Contemporary Oil Painters Handbook, thoroughly explains the chemical composition and origin of pigments, solvents and driers. It is available through university book stores and probably online.

Mr. Chieffo writes the technical section for American Artist magazine. While studying fine art in a university setting, the students were advised to used Grumbacher with mineral spirits as the solvent. It's odorless and less expensive than turpentine.

Regards,

Cynthia Houppert