WHAT IS ART ( art history intro website, interesting verbage , on the age old question.

---------

From: Christine Besack (mrsbeeswax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 05:27:14 PDT

Hi All,
    Always looking for something interesting, this website, (which looks to be resources for an Intro Art History Course) looks at the always present question " What is Art ? "
I like the list at the end of their page denoting the functions of art. Think I might post that on the wall of my classroom for next year.
Hope this helps, Christine Besack :)

 http://www.ouc.bc.ca/fina/whatsart.html

Here is the intro to his article:
Department of Fine Arts, Okanagan University College
Art History: A Preliminary Handbook, by Robert J. Belton

WHAT IS ART?
Any brief definition of art would oversimplify the matter, but we can say that all the definitions offered over the centuries include some notion of human agency, whether through manual skills (as in the art of sailing or painting or photography), intellectual manipulation (as in the art of politics), or public or personal expression (as in the art of conversation). Recall that the word is etymologically related to artificial -- i.e., produced by human beings....

---