Re: Files for sharing - Middle school/high school

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 13 2003 - 21:38:04 PDT

In my intermediate school a word wall is actually
required, as is Blooms. As I walked by and saw cute
things done with Blooms, I thought, "How ridiculous!
Why would students need to know about theoretical
levels thinking?" Then I found out I had to do one -
I made mine into questions for each level, and in
little print, I put what level it was. I used it for
an essay - I gave each student an art postcard and
they had to write a paragraph that responded to each
question, starting with the lowest level. If I find
the file, I'll attach it.

I use webs frequently as part of the warm up. Some
examples that we generated webs for as a class are -
media, utilitarian art, graphic art, subject matter of
art, etc. The one we did for subject matter I ended
up using as a bulletin board and for each subject, put
up examples of work we'd done. It had
Portrait(people), Landscape, Still life, Daily Life,
Formal (Abstract), Beliefs and maybe something else.
I will definitely take more pictures next year.

I did venn diagrams for a compare/contrast essay on
Leonardo's Mona Lisa and Picasso's Dora Maar. I also
did one comparing Sandy Skoglund's Radioactive Cats
with a Melissa Miller painting (Rabbit's that were on
stilts and laughing - I think it may have been called
Clowns.) I don't think they had to write on that one
- It allowed for excellent dialogue though, since
neither work was very cut and dry.

My word wall last year was a functioning dictionary
basically. It drives me crazy to just have a word
wall to have a word wall, so I made definitions on the
back for the terms they had for warm ups. So if I
said, "Have you printed your edition yet?" and they
said, "What's an edition?" I'd say, "You can look it
up in your art folder, or check the word wall."

I'm currently working on one that will serve as a big
piture of what "art" is. I'm dividing it into four
sections - fine/studio arts, design, artifacts, and
utilitarian/functional. I'm still working on how I
will handle the overlapping areas - But since I
frequently create webs, wanted to use a different
format. I will be using pictures along with the
words. The purpose for us to have a word wall is
basically to have a print-rich environment.

I'd love to hear more ideas on this.

Dawn
in Houston