Re: Murals and administrators who have "visions" but no assistance!

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 13 2003 - 12:57:31 PDT

As a union person who has been through this problem with a new assist.
principal and again with a new principal my advice is to write down
all the difficulties that you anticipate with this project like wet
stairways and kids traffic through the wet project, scheduling the
time so that you can meet the curriculum requirements and still
provide time for mural work, time line, etc. Be enthusiastic about
the art part but insist that administration meet with you to resolve
the problems you anticipate. Your responsibility is to figure out the
technical information needed to produce a mural. The administrator
has the responsibility to work this into the building & schedule.

Make certain that your list of anticipated problems is well
documented. I kept a copy and I sent CC to the building union rep as
well as the administrator who ordered the murals. Later when the
negative comments were included in verbal evaluation I could bring out
the documentation and head off anything permanent in my written
evaluation.

A reasonable administrator should be able to see that this massive
plan needs input from a variety of staff including custodial. Don't
take on all the responsibility. So often the idea is all the time and
attention they want to contribute! Be very enthusiastic but insist
that you will need help from specific staff to make this vision work.

Sharon NJ