How would you respond?

---------

From: Maggie Tucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 13 2003 - 09:47:54 PDT

I just finished a quick read (Giovanni's Light by Phyllis Theroux) which
encapsulated the way I feel my students' parents feel about art. Here's
her description:

        "He taught children whose parents didn't really believe in art. They were
quick to tell
        him how much the children loved him and how important art was--oh, very
important! But
        the school board only gave out serious money for the math and the science
departments,
        and this year, it had voted to do away with recess in kindergarten--so the
children could spend
        more time in the computer lab."

Well, I'm caught between my constituency's belief system and its actions.
I'd love to engage Theroux in a , "well what would you do?" After six
years of lobbying, public relations activities, keeping art in the
forefront (with diminshing returns) I do wonder what the next step is.
Wait for NCLB to reap my program?

So glad to be back in the ArtsEdNet groove!
Maggie Tucker

arttucker@earthlink.net

---