Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

How would you respond?

From: Maggie Tucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 13 2003 - 09:47:54 PDT

I just finished a quick read (Giovanni's Light by Phyllis Theroux) which
encapsulated the way I feel my students' parents feel about art. Here's
her description:

        "He taught children whose parents didn't really believe in art. They were
quick to tell
        him how much the children loved him and how important art was--oh, very
important! But
        the school board only gave out serious money for the math and the science
        and this year, it had voted to do away with recess in kindergarten--so the
children could spend
        more time in the computer lab."

Well, I'm caught between my constituency's belief system and its actions.
I'd love to engage Theroux in a , "well what would you do?" After six
years of lobbying, public relations activities, keeping art in the
forefront (with diminshing returns) I do wonder what the next step is.
Wait for NCLB to reap my program?

So glad to be back in the ArtsEdNet groove!
Maggie Tucker