RE: Culture essentials

---------

From: Tracey Collier (atla_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 13 2003 - 00:52:09 PDT

That's yet another reason I hate seeing lessons on "Native American
art." They cannot be lumped together as one generic culture!

Maggie (getting off her soapbox)

Hi all

This ties in exactly with the question on culture essentials.

I am busy writing a textbook for the Department of education that will
serve as an introduction to arts and culture. It will be used in adult
education classes. This is the section of the population that does not
have an understanding of arts and culture or its value. To them it is
just the way they live or the way their ancestors lived.

However, the problem that I have is that there are 11 major indigenous
culture groups in South Africa, as well as some immigrant cultures that
form part of the whole. I cannot write about "South African" culture as
there really is no such thing. I have to include samples of each of the
groups to make the book representative of South Africa as a whole.

As for themes, what I like to do is use a broad framework each year, but
the detail or specific group that is studied changes to keep me sane. I
try and find similarities that acts as a bridge between the groups and
then expand on the differences.

Maggie, I like your soapbox. Don't get off it, it has a lot of value in
that it is the subtle differences that make us human, not the broad
strokes of homogenisation.

Tracey, on my soapbox.

---