Culture Essentials

---------

From: Kimberly Hutts (kimberly_hutts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 20:48:45 PDT

Hello everyone,

I am planning to use a multicultural theme for next
year. I did this once before, but would like to make
it better. I plan to have my students "visit" each
continent of the world studying different cultures and
their art. What I need your help with is deciding
exactly what information I should teach about each
culture and were to find that information. I would
like to teach each grade level, 1-8, about a different
culture from each continent. Does anyone know of a
book or other resource that has basic cultural
information about many different cultures from all
over the world? I would greatly appreciate any help
you could provide.

On another note, I am wondering if changing my theme
each year is such a good idea?. I have just finished
my second year of teaching and thought that I would
have a new theme each year, or at least rotate between
several different themes over several years. What do
you see as being the pros and cons of this strategy?
Would it be better for the kids if I just picked one
good theme and stuck to it? I'm sure it would be a
lot easier to plan from year to year if I did. Please
let me know your thoughts/experiences on the subject.
Thanks in advance to everyone who will respond to my
cry for help.

Sincerely,
Kimberly