Re: my paintings...link working now

---------

From: Frances Briggs (frances.briggs_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 08:31:12 PDT

I share your perspective on painting without black on the palette. I always
mix my "blacks" because I don't believe black exists as one particular
version. For example there are warmer and cool blacks. When you use black
from the tube, it is harder to alter and mix and expose it's possible
variations. Black is not a color and should never be applied as such, in my
view. I also think that painting from photographs produces a different sort
of image than painting from life. It is usually easy to tell a painting
done from a photograph because it is so still - the one from life moves and
breathes and the colors reflect communication between the subject and the
painter. Even a peach speaks to the artist's appetite and nourishment.
Frances

---