Re: My job still available

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 07:33:02 PDT

Woody Duncan wrote:

> Maggie,
> I thought the White Mountain Apache's were in New Mexico
> near Ruidosa ???? I guess the reservation extends into Arizona ???
> Woody

There are four main Apache tribes. In NM, there are the Mescalero,
whose rez is near Ruidoso (beautiful place, isn't it?) and the
Jicarilla, in the north up Farmington way. The Western Apache are in
AZ: White Mountain, in east central AZ just north of the Salt River, and
the San Carlos, south of the river. They all share the same basic
language but there are some differences (my students thought San Carlos
Apaches talk funny!) and in some of their beliefs and traditions.

That's yet another reason I hate seeing lessons on "Native American
art." They cannot be lumped together as one generic culture!

Maggie (getting off her soapbox)

---