Benday dot pattern/ Visiting the Getty

---------

From: Maggie Tucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 07:27:17 PDT

My son and I just returned from a Southern California trip. Our first day
was spent at the Getty. A beautiful set of buildings, beautifully sited,
with lots of docents and school groups. . . but not the quality of art I
was expecting. The museum itself seemed to have plenty of visitors.

However--I found one of those kits in a gift shop for a
Lichenstein-inspired comic strip, put together by a firm known as "Art Ed"
in the northeast. It was pricey and bulky, so I didn't buy it, but
included were a series of plastic strips used to produce "Benday" dots. I
want to do something with LIchenstein and have never seen these. What do
you guys think? Is it worth it to purchase, or try to make something like?

We also toured Legoland in Carlsbad. I was expecting a ho-hum day, but the
sculptures made out of Legos were really fabulous. Didn't get a chance to
touch LA County Art Museum or its Contemporary Art, nor the museum in
Pasadena.
Maggie Tucker

arttucker@earthlink.net

---