RE: a fear

---------

From: Jeanne Voltura (jvoltura_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 01 2003 - 16:02:02 PDT

I teach at a college that has a program where high school students can
attend college...I have had several kids in my college classes...and it
seems that about half do well and half don't...some are not mature enough or
have not been taught how to be self disciplined...I think its good on one
level to have them take art classes in college...the one good thing is when
they have high school art programs where the teacher is not really teaching
anything technical or formal as far as art goes...some high school art
teachers here just tell their students to create something, anything...yet,
if they take a college class here sometimes its more academic and formally a
stronger program than the high schools offer...this school district can
sometimes leave alot to be desired as far as its strenghts in education goes
though...having both been a high school student and now teaching high school
students in this school district...