Re: new art book, ideas requested

---------

From: Geoffrey McClain (skygeoff_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 01 2003 - 03:44:40 PDT

new art book, ideas requestedHi MaryAnn,

Here's the way I teach weaving and each lesson builds on the previous one:

Basic project: Paper Weaving
Fold colored 12" x 18" paper in half and use ruler to draw lines vertically down the page. (Draw a line horizontally one inch from the top and don't cut past it.) Weave precut inch wide strips of colored paper over and under the vertical strips - must be a pattern of two or three colors.

Progressive step one:
Paint a piece of 12" x 18" white paper using wet on wet watercolor. Flatten and let dry. Cut this into 1" strips for weaving. Cut loom as in first grade lesson only make the cuts wavy - no straight lines.
Weave the watercolor strips into wavy cut loom. Black paper for the loom is especially effective.

More progressive step two:
Weave using yarn on a cardboard loom. Choose a color scheme - primary, secondary, complimentary, analogous, tints, shades, warm or cool colors. Write the color scheme on an index card to be attached to the finished weaving. Weave a pattern using various weaving techniques such as basic over/under weaving, rya knots, weaving up and down hill, weaving over two and under two, etc.
Use yarn, ribbon and beads in the weaving. Turn the finished weaving into a pillow by folding in half, sewing and stuffing. OR attach it to a straight branch for a wall hanging. OR make a purse by folding up and sewing the bottom third of the weaving. The rest of the weaving becomes a flap which is held shut by the button which is sewn on. Braid a strap and sew it to the top corners of the purse.

I do these with my classes every year or some variation of them.

I would be glad to send you drawings to explain them further. I give back all the projects but next school year I could take photos of their finished work to show you.

Sincerely --- Sky in NJ

---