Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Book making techniques

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 14:47:33 PDT

Michelle Molnar wrote:
> I would also like the sites you found on bookmaking. What do you all have
> your students do in their sketchbooks?

They use them for their preparatory sketches (required), for taking
notes, practicing techniques, and homework assignments.

> What kind of paper do you all use
> for the front and back covers?

I use plain poster board so they can decorate their own covers. The
six-ply railroad board from Sax is cheap and easy to score for folding.

> What kind of thread or yarn? What kind of
> needles? Adhesives?

I bought some colorful nylon thread at the hardware store. I think it's
used for laying out brickwork or something. Cheap and strong! We use
large-eye steel needles (#14 blunt tip), also from Sax. Adhesive is not
necessary. For paper, we use 12 x 18 white sulfite folded in signatures
of four sheets. Folding the paper in signatures prevents paper from
being torn out easily (I don't want them to remove sketches they don't