Re: Book making techniques

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 14:47:33 PDT

Michelle Molnar wrote:

> I would also like the sites you found on bookmaking. What do you all have
> your students do in their sketchbooks?

They use them for their preparatory sketches (required), for taking
notes, practicing techniques, and homework assignments.

> What kind of paper do you all use
> for the front and back covers?

I use plain poster board so they can decorate their own covers. The
six-ply railroad board from Sax is cheap and easy to score for folding.

> What kind of thread or yarn? What kind of
> needles? Adhesives?

I bought some colorful nylon thread at the hardware store. I think it's
used for laying out brickwork or something. Cheap and strong! We use
large-eye steel needles (#14 blunt tip), also from Sax. Adhesive is not
necessary. For paper, we use 12 x 18 white sulfite folded in signatures
of four sheets. Folding the paper in signatures prevents paper from
being torn out easily (I don't want them to remove sketches they don't
like).

Maggie

---