Re: How to folder/portfolio

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 06:44:58 PDT

> for Susan and others who do portfolios at the elementary level...
>
> How many students do you teach ?
    At the K-6 level I teach appx. 150 students

> How many pieces do you keep in their portfolio each year ?
    All of them - in the primary grades they have ALOT more projects -
usually around 20, while at the intermediate level they usually have
around 10.

> Do you send these on to middle school ?
    No, I send them home at the end of the year since my administrator can't
decide whether I should be a required course or an elective

> Do you cut down 12/18 paper in order to fit it in this 24/36 half folder ?
    I use 18x24" tagboard, folded in half and taped w/box tape on one side,
leaving 2 sides open. Papers stay in and nothing gets crumpled going
in or out

> Do you include Photos of 3D work ?
    I don't work much with 3D due to space constraints - I have high hopes
for next year tho! I already take alot of digital photos of the
student's work and plan to include more this year

> I often consider doing this with my students, but space constraints ,and
> upkeep logistics push this thought back down again. I know it would be an
> awesome way to track progress !!!
    If you are wanting to track students one simple way is to buy one or two
of those plastic file boxes. Give each student a folder and have
them draw a self-portrait at the beginning or end of each school year. You
can definately see them "grow up" through these drawings.

~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

---