Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: resources for selection of content

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 06:15:15 PDT

Hi Erica,

I think that in the long run the 'content' is best defined from a logistical
standpoint by the needs of the students and the range of facilities that you
have available to you in your particular situation. Certainly to give
students a solid grounding in things such as the elements and principles of
art, a range of 2 and 3 dimensional art making experiences, skills in
graphic arts that would be helpful in gaining experience with visual art /
communication techniques and procedures that would be useful to them
vocationally, interdisciplinary and cross-cultural information relating to
the visual arts and as much art related history as can be instilled in them
as possible to give what they are learning some historical and societal
context, would be extremely important. What is feasible within any given
program in any school or school district will certainly dictate just how
much of the above can be done by virtue of budgetary and student contact
time issues. Once you have a handle on how many sections of what you are
able to teach (and at what level), it would be much easier to go online and
search for what you need.

When you are ready to take that step, here are some online resources that I
have found valuable:

Some of my particular favorites:

Interactive collaborative site developed by the Minneapolis Institute of Art
and the Walker Art Center (Minnesota, USA)
An e-zine that comes out of New Zealand that is written by and for artists,
scholars and art educators from around the world, that is the brain child of
Ian Clothier, a professor at Aukland University. I am responsible for the
Insite column on the magazine.

Photoshop Tutorials:
Detailed information on the various procedures needed to successfully teach
and learn how to use Adobe Photoshop

A monthly real time discussion forum for educators (Teacher Professional
Institute),in all curriculum areas. There is a monthly calendar posted for
all of the discussions that have been scheduled and is posted on the site.
I facilitate a monthly discussion / workshop on using ArtsConnected here.

Here is a partial list of additional sites I have compiled that have been
helpful from time to time by category:

Architecture in Education

Architecture - CD Rom - Design - History

Free 3D Models of Great Buildings
Art Books / Posters:

Art & Graphic Design (list)

Art(s) Education:

Art Education Curriculum

ARTStart Looking and Learning Image Index

Birthdates of Artists

Art Eucators of MN. Website

NAEA Website

Perpich Center Website

MOMA Art Safari

National Gallery of Art Teacher Exchange

New Art Basics - Brain Based Visual Education

Art Junction - Art teacher discussion / resource group

Art History:

AP/Honors History of Art

Archives of American Art - Smithsonian

Art History Resources on the Web

Art Images by Period (under construction)

Artist Index - ArtNet.Com

Diego Rivera Web Museum

Frida Kahlo & Contemporary Thoughts

The Getty

Digital Imaging Project - Index of Art Historical Sites

Mark Harden's Artchive

The National Museum of Women in the Arts

WWW Index of Pop Artists
Art Humor:

Art Jokes - Artist Resource
Art Quotes:

Compilation of Artist Statements by Members of the ArtsEdNet Listserv

Clapp's Favorite Art Quotes

Children of the Clay

Links to Ceramics Web Pages

Ceramics and Industrial Minerals

Pueblo Pottery - New Mexico (commercial site)

Glaze Recipes

Gordon Hutchens - Potter

Millicent Rogers Museum of Northern New Mexico

Pottery by Maria Martinez

Collections of Art Sites:

100 Best Art Sites

The K-12 Teaching and Learning Center - Art

Craig's Links to the World

More than a 1000 Art Links
Contemporary Art / Artists:

Axis - Contemporary British Art

Audrey Flack

The Indochina Arts Partnership
Digital Imagery:

Adobe Web Center Gallery

Visual Thinking: Sketchbooks from the Archives of American Art

The Drawings of Annibale Carracci

The Horizon Line
Native Cultures / Multicultural Resources:

Heard Museum

Fresco - PBS Online

NGA - American Impressionists

Edward Hopper Scrapbook

Abstract Sculpture

Isamu Noguchi Garden Museum

Henry Moore Foundation

I hope these help give you some useful information for your teaching.

Kevan Nitzberg