Re: How to folder/portfolio

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 04:42:36 PDT

In a message dated 07/15/2002 12:33:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bjcoxteachart@msn.com writes:

> Now my question is to how to construct this folder/portfolio in an
> inexpensive way and how others use portfolio in their classes? I tried the
> archives but couldn't locate much information.

Joe, I teach K-5, so maybe what I do for porfolios will not be sophisticated
enough for high school levels. But, I'll share my idea, anyway. Because I
love to have the kids work big, their porfolios are rather large also. I use
24"x36" tagboard (125-150 lb.), but construction paper works well also. Fold
it in half and staple the two sides. On the top I punch holes for the
handles, but not before the inside on the top opening is reinforced with 3"
masking or packing tape. For the two handles I use 12" pipe cleaners. My
little ones decorate their portfolios and include "My Art Portfolio", their
name, grade and the year. The portfolios are prepared at the beginning of
the year and the decorating part becomes a perfect sub lesson, any time
throughout the year. I also include a letter with an explaination of the
lessons and how they relate to the New York State Standards. Kinda gives
validity and importance to the art inside.
Good luck!
Susan on Long Island

---