Re: technical question-oil painting

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 04:17:27 PDT

In a message dated 07/30/2002 1:28:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bcriverspirit@yahoo.com writes:

> HELP-How long does it take an oil painting to dry?-I've started working with
> a photographer-some of his clients wanted oil portraits done as well as
> photo portraits. I just finished the first one last night-but it is VERY
> wet-it's been ages since I used oils- I thinned down the paint with linseed
> oil too and wonder if I put in too much-I would just touch my brush in the
> linseed and then mix it in the paints. Thanks.Barb

Hi, Barb,
I think I might have a solution for you. You must use a painting medium for
fast drying. I use Galkyd by Gamblin. I like that brand, however anything
similiar will also work. It's a little expensive, but worth every penny if
you need fast drying!! The drying time really also depends on how thickly
you have applied your paint. Thin layers of oils will dry in a day if you
use this medium. Heavier paint will take a little longer. Last summer I
painted in oils for a month in the heat and humidity of Tuscany and took
every one of my canvasses home with me- completely dry- even the one I was
finishing up two days before I left!
Hope this helps.
Susan on Long Island

---