Native American Unit

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 17:15:38 PDT

I am looking for information books or websites on the Navajo, Apache,
Iroquois, and Nez Perce cultures (5th - 7th grade reading levels)

I'm designing a Native American Unit for my 5th grade Social Studies
class. I am limited by our new curriculum; they have us on a timetable.
It has been made pretty clear they want us follow it closely. I have 5
days to identify challenges, opportunities and contributions of Native
American groups and to compare their economic patterns. I decided to
choose 4 different Native American Nations, have 4 groups of students
each research questions about the culture of one group before the
European Immigration began including their shelter, clothing, food,
trading, and art. Each group will present their information to the whole
class. Then as we progress through history we will revisit these 4
cultures and see how they developed, the effects of the European
immigration, and keep following them up to today. My reasoning is it is
better to look at four real individual cultures, than to look at broad
families of cultures because that tends towards stereotypes even with
the best of intentions.

 Later I want to start a similar thread with Spain, West Africa,
Northern European (Irish maybe), and an Asian culture (I'm thinking
Japan because of the interment camps in WWII, but the Chinese immigrants
with the building of the rail roads and underground cities in the
Northwest would be interesting also ).

I was raised with a very strong since of a family history - cultural
history - and American/Texan history. I remember telling a classmate
that Social Studies was dates and times not history. History was stories
about real people. I want my students to know the stories and feel the
connection to the past. Hope this makes some sense.

Sincerely,

Kimberly Herbert

---