RE: table signs and movement!

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 15:51:43 PDT

The most ridiculous thing I ever hear working at the museum (and there
were quite a few ridiculous things) was that we would have to pay a fine
because the alarm went off 3 times in one year - even though each time
there had been an attempt to open the back door. The back door (fire
door) had a lock, a kick bar and was chained locked each night. Either
vandals or drunks trying to get into the hotel would jerk and pull on
the door until the alarm went off scaring them away. We were located in
the 3rd Hilton ever built now called the Cactus Hotel it no longer
offers overnight accommodations, but is the home for cultural groups,
and businesses. These incidences stopped when the club on the 15th floor
closed down.

It was also humorous in hindsight when the alarm company mixed up the
lists for the Children's Art Museum and the main art museum (CAM was
part of SAMFA) and demanded I go open down to SAMFA RIGHT NOW and let
the fire department in or they were going to break a window. - I didn't
have a key! And everyone on SAMFA's list was out of town - Most of them
had driven to Midland to the opening of a staff member's exhibit there.
(I got hold of the receptionist and she let the fire department into the
museum)

Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert