Re: Book making techniques

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 09:08:41 PDT

Hi, Carolyn,

I have several really good sites bookmarked if you still need them.
I've had my students make their own sketchbooks the last several
semesters; the actual making of them is a lesson in itself with a bit of
history and info about traditional bookbinding techniques. We did do
the Japanese stab binding, which looks really nice, but it was very
difficult to add more pages; it required unbinding and resewing the
pages, which meant my having to stop and get out the supplies again for
each individual student. They now use the long-legged brass brads,
which I like because they can add notebook paper and more sketch paper
more easily. I'd be glad to send you the handout if you like.

Mag

croberts wrote:

> Need some help on book making.
>
> I want my students to make their own sketchbooks and I want them to sew them
> together.
>
> How do I make the holes in the paper...or what is the best way to do this?
>
> I've made them before, but they were small enough that we could use a
> long-arm stapler. This time, I want the books to be 9x12".
>
> Any tips, hints, etc. would be appreciated...
> Carolyn

---