RE: New Member, New Teacher, and Art on a Cart-tips from a pro

---------

From: LeAnn Escoffre (leann_escoffre_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 20:55:30 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: RB7Surf7@aol.com [mailto:RB7Surf7@aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2002 1:03 PM
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: Re: New Member, New Teacher, and Art on a Cart-tips from a pro

I did art on a cart for my first two years and I loved it!!! No room to
clean up at the end of the day. You will prob get small storgage closet for
supplies and cart.
Most teachers will provide you with a small space that you can store
unfinished art work. There are thousands of great projects that students
can
do in one or two lessons.
The biggest difficulty I had was that almost all the teachers complained
about glue, paint, pastels etc getting on the carpets, floors and desk tops,
the fanatic neat teachers club members will give you a very difficult time
with any kind of mess and when your are dealing with young children there is
almost nothing you can do-forget about ever using glitter! Even if you have
excellent structure and clean up routines you can sometimes miss something
that will be complained about. I can recall a few teachers that left dishes
and stuff in their sinks to prevent me from using them. I can recall a few
that sat at their desks and did their planning and kept an eye on me and
what
I did in their room. I used to bring a large plastic canvis 12' x 12' that
spread on the floor and let kids sit in a circle around to do glue stuff.
little kids this works great, oncve i was even allowed to spread the canvas
on the floor of the gym when the gym teachers did health in the classroom
for
two weeks!
I did a lot of beautiful sketch work with pencils!! Picasso did some of his
most beautiful work with crayons!!! don't underestimate the power of the
crayon. Markers are great too for art on a cart. Paper folding, no mess
there!!
Making little books, puppets and acting out stuff is fun-and not messy-art
games are also good for clean fun!!!
Towards the end of the year when the weather warmed up I was allowed to set
up outdoor painting lessons. The custodians helped me set up tables and ther
kids loved going outdoors to paint. and there were no complaints from the
teachers.
good luck
RB