Re: how would you have kids approach this contest?

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 12:30:36 PDT

artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:
>I try to avoid contest. Our district does not endorse contest and I try not
>to do them in school either. When special projects come up I either choose
>work already done or choose a student who could use the boost. Saves a lot
>of hurt feelings. The only time I do a contest like thing is for our art
>show poster/invitation design. But all fifth graders participate, it is a
>lesson in advertising and logo (similar to what you are doing) and the
>students choose one piece to represent their class. We talk about the
>objectives, what we are trying to say with the design, etc. I never vote.
>This way the kids feel pretty ok about it. Don't know if that helps or not.
I agree with what you say! But my principal already signed us up. She is
very good at getting organizations and companies to provide services for our
kids (who really need so much!) and so we end up with a lot of these kind of
requests from those who help us. Somehow the art teacher ends up being the
obvious go-to person, though I can't see why!
I like your idea about having kids evaluate the art to choose which ones to
submit- but I may have different grade levels choose without showing them the
names on work- 5th can choose the ones for K, 3rd can choose for 5th, something
like that.

susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu

---