how would you have kids approach this contest?

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 10:49:11 PDT

I have to have elementary kids make art for a calendar contest right off the
bat. Contest deadline is August 30 and kids get back to school the 19th. With
classroom rules/ procedures/ get-to-know-yous to do first, that looks like 2
class periods for this project.
Ordinarily, I would use my a graphic design unit for this kind of contest, but
with this time frame, I can't do my unit justice.
This is the criteria (and I think they are just looking for cute kids' drawings)
Theme: With Healthy Food I Can Do. . .
The kid's art has to incorporate a company logo.
The size requirement is limited to 8 1/2 X 11.
And they say "Art may be submitted in any medium the child chooses (Note:
calendar will be in black and white.)"

So, would you have kids work in color or not? I don't know how the art will be
reproduced, but it could just be photocopied. What about this logo thing? I
made a handout sheet with the black and white logo in 8 different sizes so they
can choose a size and collage it in.

I'm supposed to do this with every grade level- k-5, so if you have suggestions
on an approach for kinder, who will be doing good if they learn how not to fall
off an art stool in the first two weeks, let me know!
Also, have you got any suggestions on how you would make this an engaging way
to start the year? I didn't really want to start with something so potentially
deflating as a drawing contest with one winner per grade level.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to send some thoughts my way.

susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu

---