Book making techniques

---------

From: Patty Phillips (plphillips_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 09:41:24 PDT

Carolyn,
I, too, am planning to create sketchbooks as a first project with my high school students. I looked on the web but found the information lacking. There are many goods books available. I recently bought "Cover to Cover" by Shereen LaPlantz. It has very clear directions with illustrations and shows various ways in which to bind books. I've been experimenting for the past few days with different techniques to determine what will work best for my classes. I'm thinking of having each class use a different binding technique so that I can see which one holds up the best over the course of the school year. What are you planning to do with the covers and endpapers? I'm thinking of marbling and paste papers. I also want my students to have a pocket or envelope to hold papers that I hand out, which I think we'll put inside the front cover. Happy binding!

Patty Phillips

---