Re: Careers in Art Poster

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 21:03:22 PDT

Hi all
  First of all a big THANK YOU to Sue Stevens for compiling the list of art careers. Just a note of importance, most of these careers require a SPECIALIZED degree, so for example you can't become an art historian with an art degree...but must pursue an art history degree. An architect, for example goes 5 years to school, at a school that trains art students in a blend of mathematics and art, etc. An art degree or a BFA, for example will allow you to "major" in a certain area, i.e. Ceramics, Painting, Illustration, with a studio concentration in that area. But to be a Lighting Designer, for example, you would most probably have to go to a theater laden school, i.e. NYU....my point? Each of these areas must be throughly investigated and we don't do our students any favors by not giving them specific information on HOW to get the degree necessary to be able to pursue exactly what their dreams and aspirations are.

  That said, the list is very inspirational to our students, and very eye opening for their parents, and our administrations. We must continue our work as educators, and specifically on the high school level, by educating our students, their parents and our administrations on the steps necessary to fulfill our students' goals in art.

  San D

---