Re: New Member, New Teacher, and Art on a Cart

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 17:24:33 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: Sharon Henneborn <heneborn@erols.com>

I agree with everyone so far and Sharon makes some excellent suggestions
that you should REALLY consider before snatching up that elementary cart
job. My angle is coming from past experience from this listserv by many who
have been working with artOAcart and hearing their stress levels rise with
regular uncooperative faculty experiences and having to pare down their
offerings because of travel and supply limitations and space challenges. I
would opt for a room with middle schoolers if I had the choice.

I'm coming from a perspective of a middle school art teacher and there are
problems at this level (as well as high school)...each unique in their own
ways. There is something to be said for being in your own room with your own
things, your own desk, your own bookshelves, your own chalkboard, your own
TV/computer/your own display space/etc. You get my drift, I'm sure. Middle
schoolers are not that scary. Trust me. If you're levelheaded and calm with
a sense of humor, you can handle anything.

Also....you mentioned (I think I'm right though I deleted your post) that
the private school is elem. and the mid. is public...right? Isn't there a
big difference in pay...maybe not so much now but in the future? That's
worth thinking about also. I would check out the pay scales and step
advancements.

> All this is to say that I would go with the room! I would not go with
> a school where they want you to finish in one period....(from Sharon)

Like Sharon, I think that statement tells "mucho" if their agenda is getting
everything done in one period. That tells me also the value lies in
finishing on time instead of quality artwork and student involvement. Sounds
like you would grow to be at odds with your administration over that ideal.

> Also high on the stress list is
> multiple schools and multiple staff where you are not really
> considered part of either staff. (from Sharon)

At this point you might not be aware how important that will become in your
daily life...not to have any dependable "buddies" who know you well and
which you can share student/teacher views with other faculty. Not being a
"part" of a faculty is very limiting and frustrating and lonely. I think
this was the hardest part for me in teaching elem. AOAC for my beginning
years.

I think the biggest motivator for my teaching mid. school instead of elem.
would be the more sophisticated projects you can tackle.

I wish you luck in either choice you make too! Let us know what you decide.
Toodles.....Bunki

---