Re: Book making techniques

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 15:26:55 PDT

on 7/28/02 7:56 AM, croberts at croberts@coastalnet.com wrote:

> Need some help on book making.

carolyn, i have done this the past few yrs w/ 5th & 6th using about 20
sheets of 11x17 xerox paper folded in half. this fits nicely inside of a
folded 12x18 sheet of construction paper. here's the procedure that works
best for me:

kids count out their sheets, fold them, put a sticky note w/name as a "tab"
on the top page. all 5 or so kids at a table stack theirs together
(separated by the "tabs"). someone brings me the stack and i drill 6 holes
down the fold, 1" apart, using a template. while the kids are waiting for
the drilling to be done they work on cover designs.

sewing: everyone gets a tapestry needle and a piece of string, threads their
needle and together we start sewing from the bottom back, up to the top, and
back down. the 2 ends are tied so that the knot will be glued between the
"end papers" and the cover. count the needles! i've had a couple of kids try
to sneak them out of the room.

hope this helps.
linda in michigan

---