Some suggestions are:
1. Can you put together a supply list and have the students bring the basics?
Markers, colored pencils, pencil, eraser, glue, ruler, scissors This might
help a lot if your principal will let you do that.
2. Propose a list of things that you would like to have that the students
might have around the house. Create a scavenger hunt and have each student
try to get 100 points. (Put things like tools, old jewelry, sponges, old
crayons, etc.) Do this as one of the first things at the beginning of the
year while the kids are still "hyped"
3. Ask your principal if you could as for donations from the parents and then
compose a letter asking for tax deductible donation to the art department.
4. Write your principal and tell him how your budget does not make it easy
for you to meet the SOL's. Include a copy of them. (different areas like
printmaking, etc., which you need to purchase supplies for).
5. Consider doing a silent auction later in the year or a fundraiser.
6. Can you get any money from the gifted program or any other programs other
than the general fund?
Good Luck. I hope things get better.
Teresa in El Paso