Something for new (and experienced) teachers

---------

From: croberts (croberts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 17:06:54 PDT

> I had an amazing experience today,
> Had a former student and his brother come out and go fishing on the lake
where
> I live. They are both out of school only a few years. When they were
> to leave, the older brother came up to the deck to thank me and gave me a
hug!
> This was a tough kid to handle in school and he got in more trouble after
he
> graduated. Was a likeable kid though. I must have hit a nerve somewhere.
You
> never know. That's what keeps us all ticking at our jobs. Aint it great?
Made
> my day!!!!!!!!!
> Gelato
This reminds me of something that happened to me yesterday and I want to
share this with you.

I was in a workshop and one of the presenter's is the mother of a student I
had in MS and again when I moved to the HS.

She told me that out of all of the years her son was in school, that only 5
teachers ever gave her positive comments about her son....and that I was one
of the five and she wanted to thank me. (made my day!)

She told me when any other teachers contacted her, the first thing they did
was to "jump on her" with negative comments about problems with her son.

This did make me feel good, but I have to thank my first principal in MS for
teaching me this. He told us every year at the beginning of school that we
should contact all parents within the first two weeks of school and welcome
their child to our class and tell the parents we were excited about having
their child in our classroom. He said it would go a long way if we later
had problems with the student and had to call on the parents for help.

I did this in MS, although I was never able to reach all of the
parents....and it did take my time...but it was well worth it. I had
parents tell me they had never received a call like this and they thanked
me.

I wanted to share this as school is beginning to start back. Try it...and
do it EARLY... because after you've had some of them a few days, it would be
impossible to "tell a lie"

Carolyn Roberts

---