Re: need advice re slides to photos

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 17:05:40 PDT

Myriam Ramos wrote:

> What you say is true for most cases. One different factor
> for me is the humidity. I have had to throw away many,
> many slides that were stored in metal slide cases because
> the humidity changed their color. Of course the difference
> is you are in Arizona and I am in Puerto Rico.

Yes, humidity presents problems all its own, but I thought it was more
because of mold. Have you tried packets of silica gel in your storage
containers? I actually use them even in arid AZ in some archival
textile boxes; during our monsoon season the sudden change in humidity
can wreak havoc on occasion. The silica canisters can be dehumidified
in a low oven. Got them from Light Impressions.

Maggie
P.S. A friend who moved from here to the Phillipines had to keep his
books in a large closet with the bulb burning all the time to keep them
from rotting.

---