Re: Call To Action - Texas Teachers

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 11:43:35 PDT

On NPR today, I heard a report about text book publishers self censoring
prior to submitting books in Texas. One example was a High School Economics
text. The cover showed the entrance to the stock exchange on Wall Street.
Two nude statues framed the entrance. They took the liberty to airbrush
loin cloths on the statues so as not to offend anyone. I wonder, what do
they
do for Michelangelo's David in the art and social studies texts. I have
always been impressed at the wealth of art reproductions in Social Studies
and Reading texts my students use. It really reinforces what we teach in
the art studio.
                                                                Woody in KC

--
This one soars: