Call To Action - Texas Teachers

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 11:15:35 PDT

Texas is getting ready to spend $570,000,000 or more on the new Social
Studies books (adopted once every 10 years). Books being considered are
available at your Education Service Center. Different groups are trying
to push their agenda's into the textbooks and this affects not just our
kids in Texas, but all kids across the nation. Since Texas and
California 2 of the 3 largest school systems and both adopt books state
wide, what happens in these two states dictates for the other 48. I've
included to NPR articles about the debates at the bottom of this e-mail.

I know this is an art teacher not social studies teacher listserv, but
has a classroom teacher I see social studies as my best avenue for
introducing more art/cultural history into the curriculum. The TEKS
include SS5.22(A) The student will identify significant examples of art,
music, and literature from various periods of U.S. history. SS5.22(B)
The student will explain how examples of art, music, and literature
reflect the times in which they were created. We need to pressure the
publishers to include more art/cultural history as context for the
political history.

Also check out your representative on the state board of education. Find
out what he/she is doing, what his/her believes are, and what real
experience he/she has with public schools or teaching, then take what
ever action you think is best.

http://www.kuhf.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=7242
http://search.npr.org/cf/cmn/segment_display.cfm?segID=147295

Sincerely,