Re: Field Trip

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 13:48:16 PDT

> This fall I will be teaching at a new middle school in Texas. This will be my thrid year of teaching art at a third school. I have yet to experience a field trip to
> the museum. Do you guys have any advice for me to plan one? When is the best time to go...the fall or Spring? How much should I charge the students? I
> would appreciate any advice!

Ricardo,
Any decent-sized museum will
probably have someone coordinating school groups. If you go through
their office, the tour will probably be free. Get their exhibit
schedule and see what they offer; for instance, the Phoenix Art Museum
has a number of different docent-led tours you can request that
concentrate on a particular time period, style of art, or theme, or I
can ask them to customize a tour. The museum you go to may be able to
do the same. It holds the students' interest better if the tour
coincides with something they have or will study in your class. If
possible, get slides or reproductions of work or the artists that they
will see in the museum and have it on display in your room, maybe
incorporate it into a lesson; when the kids see it live and in person it
will be like an old friend.

I don't take a whole class; just the ones who really want to go and as
many as will fit in a van. You will want a docent for at least part of
the time so they don't just cruise through the galleries. If the
museum will allow it, the kids might enjoy visiting other sections of
the museum on their own after the docent tour.

You may have to try out a different docent each trip before you find the
perfect match for your kids--I know I did. I've requested her for going
on eight years now, and she always plans something special and
out-of-the-ordinary for our visits.

Maggie

---