Re: pledge of allegiance

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 20:17:40 PDT

A few more facts that I am remembering:

War between the states still too recent history and immigrants
arriving in large numbers. Written around the turn of the century by a
minister expressing his thoughts about bringing so many diverse people
together and assimilating the immigrants and heal the division of
North & South.

In the 50's the Nights of Columbus, a catholic men's group, lobbied
for the addition of under god. In addition to the objection to adding
God to a pledge that "belongs to Caesar" it bothered me that they
changed the writing of the original writer.

Woody is right that there are so many more problems to focus on but I
see it as a small thing that represents the slow movement in the US to
have a state religion.
----------
>From: Woody Duncan <wduncan@kc.rr.com>
>To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.getty.edu>
>Subject: Re: pledge of allegiance
>Date: Thu, Jul 25, 2002, 6:45 PM

> In 1952, I believe, it felt awkward for me to say the words then.
> I was probably in the fifth grade. But as I said earlier, we have
> so many issues to deal with that this one can wait.
> Woody in KC
> Donald Peters wrote:
>> The word 'God' was added in the 1950s.
>> Before that it was "One nation, indivisible..."

---